An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!
Check out these tips for preventing household pests, pest infestations and the potentially dangerous health and property threats they pose. Find out how to prevent bugs and rodents from entering your home, and how to protect your family and property.
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Termites can enter your house through an opening as thin as a piece of paper.
- Rats can squeeze through a half inch gap; a mouse can get through a hole the size of your fingertip.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house.
- Store fire wood at least 20 feet away from the house or other buildings and five inches to a foot off the ground.
- Allow for a minimum of 6 inches clearance between wood sidings and the ground.
- Any wood in contact with soil should be either treated or it should be appropriately rated for this contact.
- Address any drainage or moisture issues, as moisture attracts many issues such as mold, termites, ants, silverfish.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Repair fascia and sofits and rotted roof shingles; some insects are drawn to deteriorating wood.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
- Call a qualified pest professional for additional advice and treatment if necessary.
- If termites are a known problem in your area, have your home or other building regularily inspected.
- Also, before purchasing a home or other building, have it inspected for termites.
- Special mattress covers are available to minimize mattress infestations of bedbugs.
- Keep dry foods in resealable containers with tight lids.
- Clean, Sweep, and vacuum often to keep counters, floors, and carpets free of food crumbs.
- Place pet dishes into a shallow dish of water – ants can’t swim.
- Cover dryer vents, attic vents, and soffits with fine mesh metal screening.
- Patch and seal cracks in foundations.